Mrouzia Tajine Spice Blend
Mrouzia Tagine Spices is a classic blend for meat tagines, spiced with a touch of the famous ras-el-hanout. Composed of sweet Moroccan peppers, cumin, and lots of ginger, among others, this blend is delicious in lamb tagines or chicken tagines with candied lemon. It can also be added to soups, chickpea salads, and all slow-cooked meat dishes.
Turkey and sweet potato tagine
1 large turkey leg
2 turkey wings
The white of 2 large leeks
12 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp. Mrouzia tagine spices
2 teaspoons salt
2 large sweet potatoes
¼ cup olive oil or 4 tbsp. butter
18-24 black olives
Penja white pepper
Fresh parsley or coriander, chopped
- Rinse the turkey in warm water and pat dry.
- Cut the whites of the leeks into thick slices. Place in the bottom of a tagine or casserole dish with the garlic cloves.
- Season the turkey with the spices and salt and place in the tagine. Add the oil and ¼ cup of water.
- Cover and place the tagine on the round on low heat.
- Peel the sweet potatoes, if necessary. Cut into quarters.
- Count 45 minutes from the time the turkey begins to simmer in its juices. Add the sweet potato wedges around the turkey and cook an additional 45 minutes. Add a little water, if necessary.
- 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time, add olives and pepper generously.
- Just before serving, garnish with parsley or cilantro.